Whether you are conscious of your family’s sugar consumption or interested in only using simple ingredients in your kitchen, this grape popsicle recipe is sure to please. Follow along to learn how to make healthy grape popsicles.
We bought a popsicle mold two summers ago, and it has been worth it’s weight in gold! Making healthy popsicles is one of my favorite desserts or summertime snacks to serve my family. When the kiddos are running around outside and want a refreshing snack, I am always prepared with healthy and cold treat to keep them satisfied!
We often have the cousins over during the summer. Since we homeschool, we cherish these days with the kids’ cousins out of school. We make the most of these long days with plenty of swimming and playdates. It is so important to me that I stay stocked up with healthy snacks to feed a crowd. I love seeing all of the kids playing outside with a cold summertime treat.
Grape popsicles are one of our favorite’s because we usually have an abundance of grapes at the end of summer. Between making home-canned grape juice, grape jam, grape jelly, and just enjoying as many fresh grapes as possible we really get the most out of the grapes we grow here on the homestead.
Making these healthy grape popsicles is just another way to preserve the harvest. They also keep for quite a long time, if the freezer space is available.
Making homemade anything is my favorite. I like to know every ingredient that I am feeding my family. Some store-bought popsicles are laden with preservatives and chemicals. I find this so unappealing, especially when the simpler product is even better! Homemade popsicles can be made with less sugar. They often have less calories, depending on the recipe. I like to hide ingredients that my children might other wise turn their nose up at. Homemade greens powder is a winner! Adding protein is another great idea to boost the nutrition of this simple snack.
Tools and Ingredients for Healthy Grape popsicles
- Good Quality Popsicle Mold
- Popsicle Sticks
- Wrappers to store finished popsicles
- Freezer with a level flat surface
How to Make Healthy Grape Popsicles
These healthy grape popsicles can be made by simply pouring grape juice into the mold. If you ware wanting to add some fiber and texture to these pops then follow the first three steps below before pouring popsicles into the mold.
- Wash and step grapes
- Chop grapes coarsely
- Add 1 Tablespoon of chopped grapes to each mold
- Pour grape juice into the molds filling each mold with 1/2 inch headspace
- Cover and add popsicle sticks according to user directions on your specific popsicle mold.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours
- When ready to enjoy make sure to let entire mold sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes to remove from popsicle mold with ease.
- Slowly pull each popsicle from mold.
- Enjoy, or package up for later.
Tips for making healthy grape popsicles
Follow the directions on the popsicle mold
Popsicle molds come in all different shapes and sizes and made from different materials. It makes sense that there would be different user instructions for each. Be sure to use the method that best suits your popsicle mold to get the best results.
Use the best quality ingredients
Organic homegrown is always the best in my book, but if you are going to the store then be sure to read the ingredient labels. 100% pure fruit juice is the best!
Let the kids help
This recipe is so easy that my older kids can make it themselves. They love taking ownership of tasks in the kitchen and this is one of them! I have assigned to my six year old this task of keeping the popsicle mold always filled. It is a chore she is always happy to do…because the payoff is delicious!
I know it is tempting to pull them out of the freezer early when there are little ones chomping at the bit to taste, but it really is best to wait until they are completely set up before pulling them otherwise you risk them falling apart and making slushies!
Do research on the mold that is right for you
Though it is tempting to buy a mold with the reusable popsicle handles, it is personally not my favorite. Anytime I have used of those molds, the sticks end up lost. Additionally, being able to package up a popsicle for later allows more to be made right away. Trust me, this is a lifesaver with a house full of hungry kids!
Variations of Healthy Grape Popsicles
- Use Greek yogurt, heavy cream, or milk to make these popsicles cream based and more dense.
- Throw in a dash of vanilla to make these vanilla grape.
- Add homemade greens powder to boost the nutrition.
- Mix and match different fruit and vegetable juices…get creative!
Here are some other ingredients you might consider adding to these grape popsicles:
- Combine with other fruit juices
- Chia Seeds
- Flax seeds
- Vanilla protein powder
- Homemade greens powder
- Vanilla extract
- lemon or orange zest
The possibilities are truly endless! Any classic grape flavor lover will come back again and again to this simple recipe. My husband’s favorite flavor of any candy is grape! With these simple grape popsicles he is never without a healthier version of a dessert or refreshing snack. Additionally, making grape popsicles helps to preserve the harvest when we are knee deep in grape-y goodness during the summertime. I hope you give these grape popsicles a try! I think your family will like them just as much as mine does.
How long will healthy grape popsicles last?
Knowing how long something lasts is of importance to me. We like to keep a good stockpile, but do not like food waste. These healthy grape popsicles will last up to three months simply packaged in your freezer. If you need them to last longer, just throw them into a freezer bag. Like this, they should last up to six months.
- Popsicle Mold
- Popsicle Sticks
- Home-Canned Grape Juice or Store Bought
1. Chop grapes coarsely
2. Add 1 Tablespoon of chopped grapes to each mold
3. Pour grape juice into the molds filling each mold with 1/2 inch headspace
4. Cover and add popsicle sticks according to user directions on your specific popsicle mold.
5. Freeze for at least 6 hours
6. When ready to enjoy make sure to let entire mold sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes to remove from popsicle mold with ease.
7. Slowly pull each popsicle from mold.
8. Enjoy, or package up for later.